news 2006December 28, 2006
The year in review & what's coming up
For a number of reasons, there have been no updates to this website for most of 2006. This is something we hope to rectify in the new year, starting with getting the Discography up-to-date, and then working from there to improve and expand things, eventually making the site a more extensive archive of Coil's legacy. In the meantime, here is a summary of various Coil-related releases and events that took place during 2006:
- Now relocated to Thailand, Sleazy has kept Threshold House alive with expanded reissues of The Remote Viewer and Black Antlers. Both releases feature a bonus CDEP of unreleased/reworked material from the same time period as the original albums, and Black Antlers also features a slightly modified and expanded track list. Many other Coil titles are also available from Threshold House in CD and/or downloadable format.
- On December 23rd, 2005, Sleazy debuted his new solo project, The Threshold HouseBoys Choir, with a performance at a tribute concert for Jhonn Balance in St. Petersburg, Russia. A corresponding double CD anthology entitled It Just Is... features a Threshold HouseBoys Choir track along with contributions from Thighpaulsandra, CoH and many others. A second THBC track appears on X-Rated: The Dark Files, a CD compilation from Dutch label Steamin' Soundworks that was also dedicated to Balance. Also appearing on the album are Black Sun Productions, Aural Rage (aka Coil producer Danny Hyde), The Legendary Pink Dots, Nurse With Wound, and the previously released Coil track "Coppice Meat".
- While Sleazy wasn't able to attend in person, he sent some in-progress THBC video works to Jon Whitney to be screened at the Brainwaves Festival that took place in Boston in November. The 3 CD set released to commemorate the event includes the rare Coil tracks "Journey to Avebury" and "Stoned Circular 3" (the latter being credited to Black Light District).
- Absinthvertrieb Lion, German makers and distributors of Absinthe, have released a gift set featuring a bottle of their Absinthe Duplais with a specially designed "Balance" label, 2 Absinthe glasses, 2 Absinthe spoons, and a CD with the previously unreleased Coil track "Animal Are You?". The edition is limited to 250 sets and can only be ordered directly from the company via their website.
- An "authorized bootleg" of Coil's live performance in Porto, Portugal on June 21st, 2003 was released on CD in September via unknown sources. Sleazy confirmed that he gave approval for the release as long as it did not exceed the original edition of 600 copies.
- Texan label Divine Frequency released a 7" picture disc in late 2005 featuring two rare non-Coil tracks that have vocals by Jhonn Balance: "Grief" by Tactile and "The Snowman" by Rosa Mundi. This year, the same label released Sinsemilla Dreams, the second album from Danny Hyde's Aural Rage project.
- In late 2005, Balance's partner Ian Johnstone began creating an art edition of The Ape of Naples on vinyl. Planned to be limited to 23 copies, the edition has the music lathe cut by hand onto a set of three master acetates. These three discs are held inside a wall mounted box made of ebonized wood, with a French polished and waxed finish, and artwork by Ian Johnstone entitled "Racing Green". The full edition has yet to be completed, but work will continue in 2007 to finish all sets.
- Sleazy is preparing a deluxe reissue of Moon's Milk in Four Phases, the double CD set that compiled the four Solstice/Equinox EPs from 1998. This new edition will include a third CD featuring the tracks that originally appeared on a bonus CDR from the original limited mail order edition of Moon's Milk, as well as some new reinterpretations of those songs, all packaged in a deluxe gallery edition that will include reproductions of 123 original Balance paintings that accompanied the original mail order edition. The third CD will also be made available on its own for those who already own the regular edition of the original Moon's Milk and don't want to repurchase it just for the bonus disc.
- A standard vinyl edition of The Ape of Naples is planned for the new year. It will be released by Important Records, and will include a bonus record of tracks from the Backwards sessions that did not end up being used on the CD edition of The Ape of Naples.
- On his MySpace page, Sleazy has mentioned that while he has not completed what he intends to be the first full release from The Threshold HouseBoys Choir, he will likely put out a "work in progress" DVD/CD package in early 2007.
- The long-promised Coil DVD box-set is still in the works, and has the tentative title of Colour Sound Oblivion. It's unclear at this point how many DVDs it will include and what material will be featured, but it is expected to focus primarily on live performances. The last update on this project came from Sleazy back in the summer, at which point he hoped to have it ready for release by Christmas, 2006. Since that date has come and gone, we can only assume that work is still continuing.
Voices from the past
There are now nine interviews available for download:
- VPRO Radio - 1985
- VPRO Radio - 1987
- Radio FFN, Grenwellen - 1987
- VPRO Radio - 1991
- Unknown source (UK) - 2000
- Radio Inferno - June 20, 2001
- Mutek (Peter) - May 15, 2003
- Supersonic - July 12, 2003
- Rattlebag (Dublin) - October 22, 2004
Thanks to Jeff Davis, Doug Wittner, and an additional anonymous donor for these files.